In the human body, many chemicals play a pivotal role. One of these chemicals is dopamine which is naturally produced by the body with the help of a diet full of required nutrients. It is an important chemical for the brain as it helps one to keep motivated, engage in any activity with desired concentration, balance the body and also keep the mind active. Modern medical science has identified four pathways that help this chemical get desired effects on the brain. Out of these four ways, three ways help the brain keep active and set one’s mood according to the situation, while one way distributes the chemical to different parts of the brain. However, experts do not know how this chemical works, but its low level can impact one’s health to a huge extent.
Symptoms of low level of dopamine
As this chemical is necessary for the brain, its low level can affect one’s mood, motivation, focus on an activity. Constipation, depression, listlessness, cramps in muscles and low libido are some additional symptoms that indicate the level of dopamine lower than desired.
Usually, with diet, this chemical is produced naturally by the brain, but due to a number of factors, the amount of its production gets affected. Addiction to alcohol, insomnia, improper diet, more consumption of sugary foods and certain medicines also affect the level of dopamine produced in the human body. In fact, those who are addicted to alcohol and other such addictions get more dopamine released in the body for a particular phase, but later it gets reduced.
The options to increase dopamine naturally:
Though medical science has certain drugs that can help increase the level of dopamine in the body, experts recommend a few natural ways that can help one get the desired amount of increase of this chemical without any side effects.
Here are a few ways that can lead to an increased level of dopamine:
- Have a proper diet: Diet is the key to a healthy body. With a diet full of nutrients required by the body, the level of dopamine can be increased in a few weeks. One must go for natural food and follow a strict schedule to have the desired benefits in a short span. If one is confused about his required diet, he can take the help of a dietician, and he will recommend the right food with an amount to be consumed to increase the level of dopamine.
- Go for sound sleep: Human body needs proper rest. The amount of dopamine gets released when one is a sound sleep as he is free from any activity physically or mentally. Hence, during sleep, a proper amount of dopamine is released, but it also spreads to all organs as required, increasing the overall health of the body and its organs.
- Avoid consumption of Alcohol: Alcohol can affect the brain to a large extent. In the initial phase, when one goes for it, dopamine gets released, and one feels good, motivated, and active. Still, gradually these effects are reduced, which leads level of dopamine in the brain. One has to face a lot of trouble balancing the body, thinking rationally and keeping himself active. Hence to have a better level of the same, one must refrain from consuming alcohol.
- Go for meditation: Meditation can help the brain pacify and improve the production of this chemical over a period. However, to use this as an option, one needs to go for it for a considerable period. While meditating, one must not think about anything and concentrate on his breathing which can help him have an increase in the production of dopamine.
- Increase exercises and their time: More physical activities lead to better production of dopamine in the human brain. Hence one needs to go for more exercises such as running, skipping and brisk walking. Jogging can also prove beneficial in increasing the amount of this chemical in a few weeks, and one can feel active than before.
- Say no to processed food: Processed foods have many elements that can affect the nutrients in the body. Sugary foods though they seem tasty can affect the level of dopamine, and hence those who struggle with the dopamine production in the body must avoid such processed foods with high carbonation and sugar.
- No stress: Stress can cause severe damage to dopamine production. It is ideal for one to stay fit and happy, which can naturally balance the dopamine in the body.
As per experts, the above are a few known options that one can try and benefit from an increased amount of dopamine over a period.