Happiness is a person’s birthright. Every human being that is born on this earth has the right to live free and happy. A person’s physical and mental well being is what primarily defines happiness. Various factors affect and influence the same. The decisions we take in life and subsequent actions also contribute to attaining the ultimate goal of being healthy and happy. However, ups and downs are a part and parcel of our existence and hence happiness and sadness go hand-in-hand. It is alright to feel sad, anxious, upset and dejected in life so long as we don’t dwell on the downfalls and make it a part of our being. Most people are able to overcome such negative emotions and feelings in due course of time however some hold on to it because of various factors and go into a mental state of depression. In this article, we will discuss about depression and how CBD can help people overcome this mental illness to a great extend.
What is Depression?
Depression is a serious mental illness that has a negative impact on a person’s perception of situations, brings about extreme bouts of moodiness in them, makes them feel sad for no reason and often has a feeling of doom hover over them. Depression has an adverse effect on a person’s day-to-day functioning and makes them lethargic. There could be days when the person may seem happy and energetic one second and the next they would feel lonely and empty. Depression can alter a person’s career and personal life to a great extend if not looked into as soon as symptoms are observed.
Causes and Symptoms of Depression
Various factors can be deemed as causes of depression. Some of them are as mentioned below:
- Trauma during early childhood years where the child was subjected to unimaginable fear and stress.
- Mental disorders often have a connection to family history. People with a family history of depression are more likely to get the disease than those without the same in the family.
- Scientists state that the risk of depression is higher if the frontal lobe of the brain is less active.
- Those enduring an abusive relationship have more chances of getting depressed.
- Continual and unhealthy self-criticizing attitude and seeing the negative side of everything often leads to depression.
- Chronic illnesses like insomnia, ADHD, chronic pains can lead to depression.
- Substance abuse can cause depression.
- Loss of a loved one, economic problems, etc can also cause depression in some people.
Some common symptoms of depression:
- The person often feels sad and tears up easily.
- A comparative noticeable change in appetite owing to which they gain or lose weight.
- Significant changes in sleep pattern where they either sleep too much or too less.
- Feel less energetic and tired
- Unable to convey the exact feeling to loved ones
- An increase in unnecessary but observable physical activity like pacing for no reason.
- Often get distracted and become absent-minded
- Unable to think or act rationally.
- May cry for no reason
- Feeling of numbness overtaking their senses.
- Feels suicidal
What Effect Does CBD Have on Depression
CBD or cannabidiol found in the cannabis plant has increasingly proven its worth in helping treat depression. Owing to its non-psychoactive property, healthcare experts have seemingly deemed it safe for use. CBD has found to have a favorable effect on the serotonin receptor levels in the human brain whereas those with depression often showcased low serotonin levels. CBD has also proven to reduce stress levels in people to a great extend. In most cases, depression and anxiety are noticed to occur simultaneously and CBD has shown positive effects on both disorders. Various studies have been carried out to determine the effect CBD has on depression and several studies are still underway. At present what has struck as a positive outlook is the fact that CBD has been effective in treating those having anxiety, having low self-esteem, improved the condition of those with cognitive issues all of which are symptoms of depression. So far very little side-effects have been reported among people using CBD for depression, most of which range from tiredness, fatigue and noticeable changes in appetite. However, if alternate medication is being used alongside CBD, then the interaction between the two may cause unforeseen side-effects in which case it is best to consult a healthcare expert before taking CBD to treat depression.
Dosage Of CBD To Treat Depression
CBD can be administered to a person through various forms. Some common ways are oral administration using capsules, tinctures, oils, through CBD infused gummies and then through vaping with CBD oil. Other methods include introducing CBD into the body through sprays, creams, and lotions and this method is often recommended to treat pain. Any medication calls for certain factors to be looked into so as to determine the recommended dosage. In the case of CBD some main factors that need to be looked into are as follows:
- The person’s weight
- Age of the person.
- Concentration of CBD in the pill, capsule, oil etc being administered.
- Tolerance of the person to CBD.
- Body chemistry of the person to be treated.
CBD is most effective when taken on a daily basis and it garners best results when taken orally in the form of oils and pills. Owing to it being an all-natural plant-based product one needs not worry over side-effects as it has shown hardly any risks associated with it so far. Depending on how one’s body reacts to CBD, it is best advised to start by taking smaller doses like 20-40 mg per day and then increase the intake over time. Consult your doctor for the right dosage depending of the factors as mentioned above.
Pros And Cons Of Using CBD For Depression
- CBD is an all-natural product derived from the cannabis plant.
- It has little to no side-effects.
- It increases the serotonin receptor levels in the brain.
- It does not cause the person to go high.
- It can be administered hassle-free.
- Gives a quick response as compared to other anti-depressant medications.
- Unlike antidepressant medicines, CBD does not cause mood swings, sleeplessness, sexual dysfunction, etc.
- CBD products are not readily available for purchase.
- They haven’t yet been FDA approved.
- CBD products could be comparatively expensive.
- In rare cases may cause tiredness, dizziness, sleeplessness, dry mouth.
- May interact with other medications being taken for pre-existing medical conditions.
Expert’s Take On CBD For Depression
Of the various studies that are being conducted to determine the effect CBD has on the treatment of depression patients, most experts see a positive light in the usage of the same. The fact that CBD has a positive effect on CB1 receptors in the brain itself is a favorable sign in this regard. People resorting to CBD to treat their mood disorders have given positive feedbacks where many have nodded their approval over this promising medication. Researchers are working round-the-clock to determine the positive effects CBD has on the brain and how it can promote an over-all well being by successfully treating mental disorders. Independent studies conducted in 2014 and 2018 garnered favorable results where the former showed a significant impact of CBD on depression and stress while the later concluded that CBD does reduce stress linked to depression.
CBD is fast emerging as an alternate source to treat a variety of health issues especially related to mental and mood disorders. The fact that it gives a prompt response as compared to other treatment methods with negligible side-effects gives hope to scores of people who have been battling depression and the likes in one form or the other. Yearning to live happily in a state of complete well being is every person’s dream. To achieve the same those suffering from mental disorders like depression should try and be vocal and confide in a loved one to get the right treatment at the right time. The earlier one approaches a doctor the better especially in the case of depression where if left untreated for prolonged periods may tend to bring suicidal thoughts to the person. Regardless of the treatment method opted, family’s support plays a major role in fighting illnesses, depression being no less in this race. So look out for your loved ones – depression and other mental disorders can be battled triumphantly.