Supplements Dietitians Are Taking During Cold and Flu Season
Immune-boosting supplements and remedies are required for the dietitians during cold and flu season. Prevention from diseases is the best option than curing it after you are affected by it. For the prevention of diseases that approaches, we must take some precautions, like taking supplements beforehand. Many people take a handful of supplements, while experts tend to take some key options they know. Supplements come in the form of capsules, powders, pills, or liquids containing minerals, vitamins, fiber, amino acids, or enzymes. Maintaining a healthy diet is also a must in flu or cold seasons. For protection from the cold and flu, we must strengthen our immunity. We must uptake the best supplements and vitamins to improve our immunity to stay healthier and stronger. These can prevent our body from getting cold or flu as it strengthens our immunity power. Make sure to get a green signal from your doctor before taking these supplements. There are some essential supplements that dietitian’s uptake during flu seasons. Some of the supplements are: –
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin D is the most popular among vitamin supplements. These are the ones that regulate calcium and phosphorous absorption, which facilitates a standard immune system.
- A sufficient amount of vitamin D in our body is required for bones and teeth’ average growth and development. It also provides resistance against some diseases. It plays a vital role in regulating mood and depression.
- In cold and flu seasons, vitamin D is a supplement that can be a factor as its low body content makes us sick. So, vitamin D can reduce the risk of getting flu.
- Vitamin D rich food items include tuna, mackerel, beef liver, cheese, egg yolks, etc.
2. Vitamin C
- Our body cannot produce vitamin C, as it is an essential vitamin, found in many fruits and vegetables like broccoli, peppers, kiwi, oranges, etc. Intake of vitamin C supplements can reduce your risk of chronic diseases like heart disease.
- It is an antioxidant that strengthens our body’s defense mechanism. Consuming these supplements can increase your blood antioxidant levels and also helps to fight inflammation.
- These can do blood pressure-lowering. People who suffer from high blood pressure should not only rely on this supplement alone for their treatment.
3. Zinc Lozenges
- Zinc is a nutrient that boosts our immune system and metabolism function and is found throughout our body.
- It also helps to heal the wounds. Enables to sense the taste and smell. Zinc is found in food items like red meat, chicken, and fortified breakfast cereals. These supplements help to treat colds and can decrease the effectiveness of some other drugs.
- Zinc supplements might be beneficial for people with low levels of zinc. Be cautious if you are taking these supplements every day along with a multivitamin as it already provides an adequate amount of necessary minerals to our body.
4. Green Tea
- Green Tea is not a supplement technically but is a beneficial drink that we can easily make and drink. It is a source of antioxidants that helps in increasing your immunity level. Drinking this clears out all the toxic substances in our body.
- The catechin content in Green Tea is the thing that matters the most. These catechins fight against the foreign particles entering our body and prevent the cell from getting damaged.
- It also improves the blood flow and low cholesterol in our body and prevents a range of heart-related diseases. It boosts more significant activity in the active regions of the brain. It helps to prevent the formation of plaques—this one of the most beneficial drinks with antioxidants.
- Garlic is an immune-supporting food that is beneficial for our body. It is prescribed for good health and medical conditions. It is a plant in the onion family that contains sulfur compounds that bring health benefits to your entire body, only includes a few calories and is highly nutritious.
- Garlic is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, and a trace amount of other various nutrients. The supplements that contain garlic can reduce the severeness of the flu and cold.
- Intake of more garlic can improve the blood pressure for one with high blood pressure. These can be as effective as those medications that you take regularly.
- It contains antioxidants that protect our cells from external damage and aging and reduce cholesterol levels with high cholesterol levels. These supplements can even reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia. As it has many good effects on chronic diseases, it can help you live longer.
- Elderberry is rich with antioxidants and vitamins, which boost your immune system, helps to tame inflammation and protect our hearts. It is also recommended to help to prevent cold and flu symptoms.
- These can be used to treat various problems like constipation, headaches, fever, minor skin conditions, stress, joint and muscle pain, etc.
- Elderberry is a healing agent that supports our bodies. It is good to include it in your healthy diet plan to help you in various ways. It is also an antioxidant that protects our cells from damage.
- Probiotics are live microorganisms that can be intake in the form of supplements or fermented foods. It helps to restore the natural balance of gut bacteria if it is taken in the needed amount.
- The uptake of these probiotic supplements can reduce the severity and risk of diarrhea that can have several different causes. It can also improve some symptoms of mental health problems like depression, stress, anxiety, etc.
- The reduction of bad cholesterol and also the severity of specific allergies are few remarkable benefits. Probiotics can boost up your immunity level and fight against infectious diseases.
8. Medicinal Mushrooms
- Medicine mushrooms are traditional medicines that have been used for thousands of years. These have nutritional compounds and can enhance cognitive function.
- They provide immune support and is a rich source of antioxidants. It has anti-inflammatory property which is a good health benefit for a dietary supplement.
- Addresses to manage the blood sugar level and also supports brain health. It helps with the boosting of energy and stamina, which makes us awake throughout the whole day.
- Mushrooms support our nervous system and are nutritional powerhouses.
In the flu and cold season, it is good for you to take supplements beforehand to ensure your health’s safety. These supplements are mostly antioxidants that prevent the toxins from entering the body and protect the cell from any damage. It can boost up your immunity and can keep you healthy. You can either take the supplements for vitamins or include the food items containing those in it. Intake of these can increase your immunity power and prevent your body from catching a cold or flu quickly. These also help us to reduce the risk of infection and some chronic diseases. Before taking these supplements, could you consult your doctor and confirm it? Only think about taking these supplements after the concern of a doctor. The treatment plan using supplements starts with your doctor, so make sure to visit them.