Honey is said to have many benefits when eaten as well as when applied topically. One of them being its ability to treat acne due to which honey is used in face masks, creams, and some DIY treatments. There are many types of varieties of honey available in the market that may claim to cure acne and blemishes, however it is necessary to check their ingredients to ensure the product is made from natural ingredients and is free from extra sugar. Adulteration of products is quite common and can have negative effects on your skin therefore it is advised to choose either raw honey or manuka honey when choosing honey for acne. As raw and manuka honey is free from further processing and contains their natural properties. Manuka honey is made from the nectar that the bees collect from the manuka trees that are grown in Australia and New Zealand. Components present in manuka honey can have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and wound healing properties. Manuka honey can be used as a spot treatment, as a cleanser, and can be used in a homemade mask as well.
Below given are various properties that honey exhibits that help it in treating acne
- Honey is said to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat oily skin easily by removing excess oil from the skin and does not affect the skin’s hydration. It also prevents and helps with clogged pores by clearing them from any dirt and blockage that can cause acne and pimples. Many people have oily skin which makes it difficult for them to keep the skin oil-free and prevent acne without stripping the skin from its natural oils, honey can be your go-to product in such a case as it not only treats your acne but also helps you in preventing them.
- Honey contains antioxidants and it can also boost collagen production and both the things are required to achieve healthy glowing skin. Hence honey can help you look younger for a longer time as antioxidants can be effective to control fine lines, and wrinkles and collagen helps skin to remain hydrated and elastic for a longer time. You may notice that as one starts to age the collagen production slows down which can affect the skin’s hydration. Using honey can help your skin feel good overall and fights with skin problems as well.
- Honey is also said to have healing and soothing properties due to which in ancient times it was used to treat wound infections, skin ulcers, and other diseases. Also, some people use to say that the darker the honey, the better as darker honey was associated with higher antioxidant content. These healing and soothing properties can also be beneficial to treat acne scars as it nourishes the affected skin and helps the acne scars to fade away. The anti-inflammatory properties of honey speed up the healing process and leave you with soft and smooth skin.
- The enzymes present in honey can also help you to gently exfoliate your skin and provides you with brighter and healthier skin. This helps you to keep your skin clean and prevents any dust and dirt particles from getting clogged in the skin that can aggravate the skin and cause acne and pimples while keeping the skin fresh and supple.
- Honey is also efficient in treating sunburns due to its anti-inflammatory properties that provide the necessary nutrition to the affected skin and help the skin to heal faster. The ultraviolet rays of the sun can affect the skin if you stay out in sun for long hours and the dry and flaky skin affected by the sun can clog pores and increases the dead skin cells which can cause more acne and breakouts.
All these properties of honey make it effective for acne and breakouts and also reduce the redness caused due to acne.
There are various ways of how honey can be used to cure acne and fade scars. Although you can use those expensive serums, face sheets, and other cosmetic products, however your skin loves natural ingredients that are free from all kinds of chemicals and only provides it with the goodness of the product. Therefore, using a homemade facemask with honey for acne at least twice a week can be beneficial for your skin.
For acne-prone skin add one teaspoon of lemon and one teaspoon of turmeric in one tablespoon of honey and mix well. Apply the mask over your face and neck avoiding the area near your eyes for around 15 minutes. Then wash your face with lukewarm water and let your face air dry. Avoid rubbing your face if the mask dries up as it is not meant to be scrubbed, instead splash some water on your face to soften the mask. Also, avoid going out in the sun after using the mask as the mask contains lemon and after usage of lemon it is better not to come in contact with direct sunlight.
For dry skin, it is advised to combine other hydrating products with honey to maintain the skin’s moisture. Combine one-fourth of mashed avocado and one teaspoon of sweet almond oil with one or two tablespoons of honey and mix well. Apply the mask for around 15 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. You can use banana in place of avocado in case of unavailability. As both fruits are hydrating and moisturises your skin well.
As for sensitive skin combine one teaspoon of matcha powder and one teaspoon of jojoba oil with one tablespoon of honey, mix well and apply the mask for 15-20 minutes and wash your face with normal water. The combination is very soothing for your skin and avoids inflammation as the mask contains many antioxidants. You can also open and use a sachet of green tea if you are out of matcha powder.
For discoloration add one tablespoon of yogurt and one tablespoon of tomato juice in one tablespoon of honey to achieve a brighter and even skin. As tomato can help to even skin and yogurt provides with all necessary nutrients to provide an even skin tone.
What do research and experiments suggest?
Due to the rise in its popularity, some research was done to ensure its effectiveness. The research done suggests that honey does contain healing properties however it is necessary that the honey is 100% organic otherwise it may not effective. Hence it is necessary to buy only unsweetened and unprocessed honey. You can find organic honey in the market or in the local areas where the bees are bred. Although some research suggests that it can be used to treat acne but it may not be an overall solution to avoid acne and pimples. The research was done to study the effect of honey to treat different types of skin problems such as burns, foot ulcers, boils, and others. Other studies suggest that honey can be effective when used in various beauty products like lotion, balm, conditioner due to its hydrating and soothing properties.
Another study where people used kanuka honey, a type of honey that is similar to manuka honey is also said to be beneficial for acne. The people who applied kanuka honey topically daily along with anti-acne soap noticed an improvement in their condition. However, the study alone is not enough to prove the effectiveness of honey for acne.