Let us face it, all of us love to indulge in junk food be it savory or sweet once a while. The kind of satisfaction it gives our cravings is incomparable. But unfortunately, junk food, like narcotics, can get addictive and the random craving turns to regular indulgence and that’s when all hell breaks loose. Not only does it contribute to the person gaining weight but the unsightly paunch makes the inevitable appearance and there on it becomes a tale of struggle as to how best to get rid of it! In this article, we will discuss 5 yoga asanas that will help us to effectively reduce and get rid of belly fat.
Common Causes Of Fat Accumulation Around Belly
Several factors contribute to fat accumulation around the belly. Let us take a look at some of the common ones:
- Consuming Unhealthy Food
A major factor that contributes to belly fat is an excessive intake of unhealthy food. Junk food, food high in sugars and deep-fried food all contribute to increased weight and consequently slow down metabolism. The natural ability to burn fat by the body gets adversely affected and eventually ends in the person turning obese with fat accumulation around various body parts especially the abdomen.
- Not Exercising
Lack of exercise is the main cause of people putting on weight and ending up with belly-fat accumulation. Exercise not only helps to get rid of unwanted fat but it also works to relieve stress.
- Drinking alcohol
Alcohol consumption not only contributes to various health issues but it also causes an increase in weight in men folk with observable pot bellies. Diseases of the heart, liver and related inflammation are common in alcoholics and it is best to avoid this unhealthy, addictive habit altogether.
- Poor Sleeping Habits
Someone who overworks their mind and body with little to no rest is often seen as having unhealthy food habits. When the mind and body don’t get the adequate rest it needs people resort to binge eating especially during odd hours which is not only bad for the health but also results in belly fat.
A common behavior seen in stressed people is that they turn to food for comfort when they feel a high level of stress. This can in turn cause them to gain weight unprecedentedly, giving rise to stubborn belly fat.
Why Opt For Yoga To Reduce Belly Fat
Yoga is the pathway to ultimate wellness. It helps to not just freshen up one’s mind and body but also rejuvenates the soul. Once the asanas are mastered with the help of a certified instructor, one can practice Yoga at the comfort of their homes. All they would need is a quiet and airy room, ample natural sunlight and a yoga mat and they are good to go.
- Yoga Asanas To Get Rid Of Belly Fat
This yoga pose is generally termed as the warm-up pose as it readies the body to carry out other poses.
- Begin the pose by standing erect with the spine straight, hands to the sides with palms facing the thighs. Both the feet should be flat on the ground in such a way that the big toes are touching each other. Heels should be kept slightly apart.
- Slowly stretch both hands to the front with the palms touching each other.
- Take a deep breath, stretching the spine and then raise the folded hands above the head as much as possible.
- Gently lift the ankles and try to stand on the toes. If unable to stand on the toes simply keep the feet flat on the floor. At this point, eyes should face the ceiling.
- Breathe normally holding this pose for about 30 seconds.
- Inhale and exhale deeply and while exhaling bring the feet to the ground.
- Repeat all the above steps for up to 10 times after a 10 seconds relaxation. Slowly increase the number of repetitions of the pose.
This asana helps to improve blood circulation and reduce belly. Beginners should stick to the basic pose avoiding variations. Pregnant ladies should avoid this pose.
Suryanamaskar is the pose that has a great impact on the entire body inclusive of stretches, deep breathing exercises and others and is best advised to practice in the morning when the sun shines bright.
- To begin with, stand with the feet touching. The shoulders should be relaxed and chest expanded.
- Inhale and lift both arms and then along with exhalation bring the palms together, in front of the chest as if saying Namaste.
- Inhale again raising the hands and slightly stretching them to the back.
- Then breathe out bending forward. Touch the forehead to the knees but comfortably.
- Bend the left knee making sure to stretch the right leg to the back with both palms resting on the floor.
- Then crouch down like a dog and then slowly from the tips of the toes move forward with the hips slightly raised high and the body is placed down towards the floor.
- Then take a deep breath and stretch forward. Then bend back, upward facing dog pose.
- Then again move the body into a downward-facing dog pose keeping both palms on the floor.
- Breathe in bringing the right leg forward placing it between the elbows and stretch upward facing. Then bring the left leg to the front inhaling deeply.
- Stretch backward from the waist area. Finally, return to the initial position.
This asana helps in detoxifying the body. People with high blood pressure, spinal and heart issues should not perform this asana as well as menstruating and pregnant women should avoid it.
This pose is a sure shot pose that helps you get rid of belly fat.
- Lay down flat on the yoga mat with hands stretched along the side palms facing the ground. Legs should be outstretched and toes facing upwards.
- Take a deep breath.
- Then gently exhale lifting the head, chest, and legs off the ground.
- Stretch the palms in such a manner they are parallel to the legs.
- Fingers and toes should be aligned and the gaze should focus on the toes.
- Hold this position and feel the stomach muscles contracting and stay in position for up to 60 seconds breathing normally.
- Breathe in and then breathe out.
- Slowly relax and then resume the initial position.
- Repeat the above steps 5 times as a beginner. Gradually increase to up to 30 times with a 15 seconds relaxation in between each asana completion.
Pregnant or menstruating women should avoid this asana. Those with blood pressure, heart and spine problems, headache, insomnia and diarrhea should avoid this asana.
This pose helps to relieve stress, induce better sleep, and hence avoid a person from stress-related binge-eating.
- Lie down flat on the yoga mat, hands stretched along the body palms facing down. Toes facing the ceiling, feet placed comfortably.
- Close the eyes.
- Gently inhale and exhale relaxing the body completely.
- Lie down until you are completely at peace and start breathing normally.
Anyone can perform this asana without restrictions.
This pose helps to tone the abdominal muscles.
- Sit on the yoga mat in vajrasana pose.
- Lift the body from the knees where the body weight is supported by the knees. Heels should be placed perpendicularly to the ground.
- Exhale bending the back bringing the hands behind the body. Hold the ankles one after the other.
- Bend the head backward and stretch the body until the abdominal muscles feel stretched.
- Stay in this pose for up to 30 seconds.
- Increase up to 60 seconds breathing normally.
- Breathe out and resume vajrasana pose.
- Repeat the above up to 5 times initially then up to 30 times with practice.
Those with problems of the heart, spine, neck, and having high blood pressure, insomnia and migraine should avoid this pose.
Dedication and persistence is the key to make the impossible possible especially when it comes to getting rid of stubborn belly fat. Resorting to yoga to reduce belly fat would mean mastering a lifelong technique with permanent, satisfactory results that can easily be practiced daily. It also helps to keep many an illness at bay.